Decorum at work is often a set of guidelines that is written and followed. There are still few codes of conduct which aren’t written anywhere nor do they find any mention in the book of organizational behaviour.
Remember the day when your boss was supposed to visit your working premises ,or your work area, did anybody tell you about the disposition you should follow and the etiquette you should have?
Besides the people around who have the habit of smudging their seniors with all the negative thoughts, there is no one who can guide you to know what exactly should be your behavior?
If you are supposed to spend more time with your boss , while together on a journey or a visit to a customer or be together in office,what are the points that need to be remembered?
Do you think besides talking about work there wont be any other topic to discuss? What should be the limitation of your verbal expression that would not hurt him as a person or as a senior?
Is it necessary to stay just formal with him or at times you can be casual?These are the few questions that arise in mind and storm your day when you come across such a situation.
For your behavior shall decide what lies in future for you in the organization.
Before pointing out the details let me just tell you that at the end of the day he is your boss and his place demands respect . He might be a person of great character ,a large-heated person,still it is your duty to make sure that you do not cross the line of friendliness that he has crossed for you.Being with your senior at workplace and at other casual gatherings or visits commands different approach to him.
Few points which you need to remember:
- Your boss is a person who is in a senior position than yours and you need to respect his stature.Respecting does not mean to flatter him with words nor does it mean to be a timid follower.You need to give him the facts without letting down his presence in front of others.
- Always preinform him about any issues that has arisen which can create a problem in field or within the workplace. Before he comes to know from anybody else,if you are the person who confides in him about any such trouble,he will be rest assured of your sincerity and faith towards him and company.
- On certain issues you both may or may not agree completely,in such a situation make sure you don’t directly argue with him in front of others specially his seniors.That sets a very bad example of bad leadership,which could affect his presence in the company.
- For any reason if you are convinced for any step to be taken or not,confide in him,prior to the meeting apprehending that a conflict there in front of everyone shall damage his position.
- As a senior , listen to his words with utmost attention and importance even though you feel they aren’t of any use.
- While conversing with him,erase the mindset of your psyche that you are better than him and could have done everything more efficiently.Such a thought shall always hamper your growth in life for it increases the ego of your self.
- Learn whatever you can from him by observing and by communicating. An inquisitive mind is always progressive and your inquisitive ness to know more about the activities in the organization about work or anything else shall create a positive impression of yours.Posing to be curious hardly sustains, for you lose interest the moment you start knowing about it.
- Be friendly towards your senior when he is in a light mood,but never try to act over smart or cross the friendly line between .
- Assure him always of your work and results ,so that he develops a sense of belief in you as a person,which shall always be helpful for the company’s growth as well as you as an individual.
- Restrict yourself from the petty activities and the politics of narrow-minded people.Someday the tables turn and one who starts all such trivial topic suffers.Neither such a person gets any sympathy from anyone then nor can he acquire back his same earlier position of respect and power.
All these points are essential for you when you think of your code of conduct before your seniors,but imposing them without actually realizing their importance would be forceful.
Few things below would clarify your such disposition:
- If you respect a person ,it will not reduce your status.
- Being humble ,doesn’t mean being weak,in fact it means you have more endurance to sustain.
- Following your leader is not a way of flattering,it displays the sense of faith you have in him and your work.
- Helping your boss in any other work,besides being in office does not mean you are being exploited,it says you are trusted more than anyone else.
- Avoiding your boss is not a way out for any situation,it shows your lack of interest in him and being in his company.
- Arrogance lets everyone down whether he is a senior or you.
- Arguing in form of a discussion is always welcome,but remember at the end of the day ,your leader’s point will be accepted,so it is better to convince him first if you are very sure of your own explanation.Such confiding will reflect your interest in the growth of the organization and not only in your own.
- Besides everything,if you find anything illegal or nefarious activities going on in the organization and your seniors involved in it,rather quit the job than making them realize their follies.
- If for any reason your senior is taking advantage of you physically,mentally or emotionally,be firm and refuse uprightly.If still unheeded directly approach the senior most person of the organization without hesitation.
- Code of conduct applies to everyone and hence there should also be a set of codes for the leaders too.